PART 111- CRITERIA FOR PASS, DISTINCTION, FAILURE
- Each continuous assessment of the Master of Arts in Media Research shall carry a maximum of 20% marks. The oral test or other performances at the class room shall carry 20% of the total marks.
- The above marks of continuous assessment and oral test shall be awarded on the class room performances. Such as; short essays, field study reports, literature surveys / reviews, conduct of focus group discussions, group projects, individual projects, seminars, presentations, oral examinations, practical assignments, conduct of exhibitions and tests in the class. A student of the Master of Arts in Media Research shall submit a continuous assessment at the end of the each course units based on the performances at class participation.
- Each taught course shall have a written examination at the end of the Master of Arts in Media Research program which carries a maximum of 60% of the total marks. The dissertation shall carry 100% of the maximum marks of which 60% for the dissertation and the balance 40% for the oral exam.
- The performances’ of the candidate shall be graded according to the following scheme.
|Range of Marks||Grade||Grade point value|
|90 – 100||A+||4.00|
|80 – 89||A||4.00|
|75 – 79||A-||3.67|
|70 – 74||B+||3.33|
|65 – 69||B||3.00|
|60 – 64||B-||2.67|
|55 – 59||C+||2.33|
|45 – 49||C-||1.67|
|40 – 44||D+||1.33|
|30 – 39||D||1.00|
|Withdrawn – Failing Status||WF|
|Repeat Completed Status||RC|
- The minimum grade for passing a course unit / Project Report is “C (GP 2.0)
- The grade possible in a repeat examination including project report is a “C (GP 2.00)” grade, irrespective of the actual grade obtained at a repeat examination.
- Incomplete Status: If a student fails to complete the requirements of a course unit due to illness of some other valid reasons supported by evidence acceptable to the Board / Senate he / she shall obtain an “I” (incomplete) status for that course unit. In this instance, unlike in10.3 above, on successful completion of the course unit, he / she will be given the actual grade obtained by him / her for that course module.
- The grade point Average (GPA) is commutated as follows.
- A candidate shall pass the examination by obtaining a GP of 2.0 for each course units and the dissertation.
- A candidate shall pass the examination obtaining a GPA of 3.67 or above at the first attempt to be eligible for the Distinction award of Master of Arts in Media Research program.
- A candidate shall pass the examination obtaining a GPA of 3.00 or above at the first attempt to be eligible for the merit pass award of Master of Arts in Media Research program.
- A candidate failing to reach 50% of the total marks for continuous assessment and examination or and dissertation of the Master of Social Sciences in Media Research program shall be considered a “referred candidate”. The candidate shall pass the repeat courses / s within two years with two repeat chances in order to qualify for the award of the Master of Arts in Media Research. Only two repeat attempts will be permitted for a candidate.
- A candidate, who fails to complete the referred course unit / s even in the second repeat attempt, shall have to seek re-registration in the Master of Arts in Media Research as a new student, in competition with fresh candidates.
- A student who fails an Examination or does not apply for the examination will be deemed to have taken that Examination.
- A student who has failed the Dissertation of the Master of Arts in Media Research program will submit the modified dissertation.
- A candidate who does not satisfy the conditions for a pass shall be deemed to have failed in the Master of Arts in Media Research Examination.
- The medium of instruction shall be Sinhala or English.
PART III.I– INTERPRETATION
In these By Laws unless the context otherwise requires:
“Council” means the Council of the University of Colombo constituted under the Universities act no.
16 of 1978 and its subsequent Amendments.
“Campus Board” means the Campus board of the Sri Palee Campus.
“Senate” means the senate of the University of Colombo constituted under the Universities Act No 16 of 1978 and its subsequent Amendments.
“Rector” means the Rector of Sri Palee Campus of University of Colombo.
High Degree Committee means High Degree Committee of Sri Palee Campus.
“Registrar” means the registrar, Acting Registrar, Deputy Registrar, Senior Assistant Registrar, Assistant Registrar or any other officer authorized to sign for and on behalf of the Registrar of the university.
“MA in Media Research” means Master of Arts in Media Research.
Any questions regarding the interpretation of these By – Laws shall be referred to the Council whose decision thereon shall be final.